The fifth generation of computers is by far the most successful generation of
computers. In this generation, there have been significant changes in computer
technology that make computers extraordinary. Although the fifth generation is
in progress, computers have received several major benefits compared to their
This article discusses about the fifth generation of computers, its history,
examples, features, advantages, and disadvantages, etc. Let’s understand this:
What You Will Learn
What is the fifth generation of Computer?
fourth-generation computers, fifth-generation computers received a major upgrade and VLSI technology was
replaced with ULSI (Ultra Large
Scale Integration) technology. This revolutionized the development of
microprocessors. This helped manufacturers assemble around ten million
electronic components on a microprocessor chip.
In addition to ULSI technology, fifth-generation computers were also based on
AI (artificial intelligence),
which is still in the development stage, and
parallel processing hardware. Artificial intelligence is an emerging technology in computer science that
primarily helps to make computers more realistic. This means that it enables
computers to think like humans; however, there is still room for much
The period of the fifth generation of computers is considered from
1980 to the present day, which
simply means that the fifth generation is the ongoing generation of computers.
Nowadays computers are using ULSI circuits, AI software, and parallel
processing hardware. The main objective of all these technologies is to
introduce technology in computers that can respond to natural languages.
Artificial intelligence is a very broad category in computer science that
incorporates various other technologies. Some of the main elements in AI
include the following:
• Neural networking
• Natural language understanding and generation
• Game playing
• Development of advanced systems that can take decisions based on
Fifth-generation computers are incorporated with logic programming and
massively parallel computing. In terms of programming languages, all
high-level languages are used in fifth generation computers. Some of the most
common languages are C, C ++, Java, .Net, etc. In addition, multi-threaded and
distributed operating systems are used in fifth generation computers, which
help in easy multitasking.
Examples of Fifth Generation Computers
One of the most popular examples of artificial intelligence in computer
technology was ‘Watson’, introduced around 2011 by IBM. It was software
running on a computer and was featured as a contestant on the TV show
Jeopardy. It was able to answer various questions, yet was based entirely on
unstructured data and lacked the ability to think like humans. It eventually
led the development to create a new generation of technology.
Nowadays there are many applications based on AI and now it is being combined
with computer internal processing and networking systems. For example, the
voice recognition feature is a very small type of functionality that works on
AI. Siri used in Apple’s iPhone and Cortana on Windows computers are some of
the software that work on speech recognition. Besides, Google also uses AI to
process better search engine results and display ads based on users’
There are many potential applications of artificial intelligence that are
included in fifth-generation devices. Some common examples of fifth-generation
computers are listed below:
• Tablet, etc.
Characteristics of Fifth Generation Computers
Some essential characteristics or features of the fifth generation computers
are as follows:
• Use of ULSI technology
• Advancement in true AI-based technology
• Improvements in Parallel Processing
• Use of Natural language processing
• Advanced superconductor techniques
• Highly user-friendly interfaces including the multimedia support
• Use of Optical fiber in manufacturing circuits
• Advancement in storage capacity and speed with HDD and SSD
• Advancement in computer networks and the Internet
Advantages of Fifth Generation Computers
Some of the advantages of the fifth generation of computers are listed below:
• Due to the use of AI in fifth generation computers, computers have
been able to understand human language and can also recognize pictures of
individuals and things.
• Fifth-generation computers are very compact in size and can be easily
carried from one place to another. Besides, they are also available in various
sizes and features.
• The speed of computer systems in the fifth generation is much better
than the previous generation computers. Also, they are more reliable and
• The user interface in fifth generation computers is very friendly,
making them easy to operate.
• There is no major heating issue in fifth generation computers.
• Computers developed in the fifth generation are more energy-efficient
than their predecessors.
• Fifth-generation computers are available at a pocket-friendly price
and hence they are in widespread use in almost every field.
• Almost all high-level programming languages are supported in
Disadvantages of Fifth Generation Computers
Some of the disadvantages of the fifth generation of computers are listed
• A small amount of heat is generated when fifth generation computers
are used extensively.
• Due to widespread use of computers in the fifth generation, there is
a lot of wastage of computers and their parts which negatively affects the
• Computers have replaced humans in various fields due to automation,
accuracy, and reliability. This has increased unemployment.
• Computers are affecting human health and dulling and ruining the
creativity and thinking capacity of the human brain.
types of cybercrimes
can be committed using computer systems.
• Fifth-generation computers are making good use of networks and
communications; however, some bad people use this technology to spread wrong
and inappropriate information to people.
Fifth-generation computers are based on a combination of technologies, such as
ULSI circuits, AI software, and parallel processing hardware. Although there
have been many major improvements in fifth generation computers, there is
still much room for upgrades.